Trinity is moving fast. Read up on all the latest improvements.
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.37 (2021-03-24)¶
- During Beam Sync, Trinity now collects account data that is not touched by active blocks. We often call this “state backfill”. Obtaining the full state is the best way to make sure that your node cannot be knocked offline with a Denial-of-Service attack that accesses a bunch of state in a series of blocks. (#854)
- Keep up with the tip of the chain a bit better. (By also listening to
- Make the JSON-RPC API HTTP listen address configurable via
--http-portto better align with related flags (#1803)
- Only print JSON HTTP API request access logs when Trinity runs with
- Implement backfill of historical blocks during Beam Sync.
The backfill automatically pauses if Beam Sync starts lagging behind and resumes
as soon as it catches up again. It can also be disabled altogether
- Implement minimal viable
eth_sendRawTransactionJSON-RPC API (#1855)
- Show state backfill progress as info logs (#1872)
eth_getTransactionCountwork during Beam Sync by requesting state on-demand from peers. (#1873)
- Implement pause/resume for historical header backfill. The backfill will pause if Beam Sync starts lagging too far behind and will resume as it catches up again. (#1879)
- Trinity on DappNode: Ensure sync progress is displayed on the dashboard. (#1909)
- Make it configurable which JSON-RPC modules are exposed via HTTP.
Prior to this change, every JSON-RPC module was exposed via HTTP if Trinity was
instructed to run with the HTTP server enabled. With this change, the HTTP
server is enabled via the
--enable-http-apisflag which takes a string value of either
"*"to expose every module via HTTP or a comma seperated list of module names e.g.
"eth, net". (#1911)
- Track block and header db health in metrics. (#2022)
- Report Beam Sync pivot rate to metrics for visualization on grafana dashboard. (#2040)
- Implement a preferred node component to support preferred nodes with discovery disabled. (#2051)
- Introduce NewBlockComponent to be a better p2p participant. By rebroadcasting blocks as they are received from peers, and after they have been imported. (#2058)
- Ensure Clique checkpoints align to epoch length when resolving via etherscan. (#2072)
- Add support for the
eth_chainIdRPC endpoint. (#2076)
admin_removePeerRPC endpoint. (#2077)
- Add support for Berlin, from py-evm v0.4.0-alpha.1 through v0.4.0-alpha.3 (#2126)
- Beam Sync hung indefinitely if your best peer gave you an empty response for state data, and it was your only peer. Now, Beam Sync recovers gracefully and the best peer is asked for state data again, after a brief pause. (#1811)
- Syncing seemed to race ahead and halt and race ahead. Header and block body buffering was reworked to run a bit smoother. (#1820)
- Fix for when a connection is lost while sending
p2p.exceptions.PeerConnectionLost: Attempted to send msg with cmd id 3 to ...(#1821)
- Apply UPnP to TCP as well. (#1829)
- Crash-fix, when Beam Sync’s target block is numbered 2 through 7. (#1830)
- Only return unique trie nodes in NodeData responses to peers. Before this fix, Trinity<->Trinity connections where one sends a GetNodeData with duplicate hashes would cause the receiving end to never get the response. (it failed a validation check, and couldn’t be certain the response was even intended for the given request) (#1834)
- Catch and resolve PeerConnectionLost during stream_transport_messages() (#1846)
- Ensure we do not relay transactions with mismatching chain id (#1855)
- Log a user-friendly message on JSON-RPC API errors (#1870)
- Catch exception and present user friendly error when a request for an receipt
to an unknown transaction is send to the
- Ensure JSON-RPC API do work with hexadecimal block identifier during Beam Sync (#1873)
ConnectionBusyexception taking whole node down. The fix makes it so that additional
GetBlockHeadersrequest (for historical backfill) are allowed to be queued up. (#1879)
- Handle error (don’t crash Trinity) when metrics can’t be written to the InfluxDB because of any connection errors. (#1903)
- Make logs a little cleaner by not including stack traces in warnings that are generated by hitting missing RPC endpoints. (#1913)
- Fix a crash when a NEIGHBORS packet contains invalid node records. We also no longer process unsolicited NEIGHBORS packets. (#1995)
- Fix the QueueFull error raised occasionally during sync. (#2027)
- No longer skip preferred peers from list of connection candidates (#2035)
- Use asks library for asyncio service http requests. (#2069)
- Handle error in system metrics collecting for dead processes. (#2083)
- Update EIP1085 validation utils to strictly enforce address formatting. (#2086)
- Update header validation strategy in NewBlock component to support multiple consensus types. (#2089)
- Fix crash when Trinity was launched with a checkpoint too close from tip in Beam Sync mode (#2091)
- Speed up block import during Beam Sync using “Spread Beam”. It asks multiple peers for the trie node data that’s on the critical path for importing the current block. (#1101)
- Speed up Beam Sync a bit by only asking for critical state data from our fastest peer, instead of bundling in the state data needed for pending blocks. (#1947)
- Stop holding the event loop for so long when downloading state for Beam Sync. It was causing performance issues. (#1984)
- Transmit the logs to the logging aggregator process in a separate thread. This helps avoid holding the async event loop for too long. (#1989)
- Move the last of the Beam state download database calls out of the event loop. (#1990)
- Move command decoding out of the event loop. (#1991)
- More cooperative asyncio coroutines in a few places. (#1992)
- Mention Görli support in docs (homepage + cookbook) (#1780)
- Now logs more information during Beam Sync about the intermediate progress in the middle of a block. (#1916)
- Display the JSON-RPC API URL on the DappNode package view (#2009)
- Extend the DappNode guide with a paragraph that explains how to connect Trinity to DappNode’s default Geth node. (#2012)
- Trinity on DappNode:
- Ensure the package uses the timezone of the host machine. This is to ensure the reported logs use the correct time and match the reported metrics.
- Allow HTTP requests from external addresses. This ensures the DappNode dashboard can show syncing progress and users can perform requests against the node. Note that the DappNode itself is shielded from the external world and only allows access via VPN or its own local W-LAN.
- Don’t map Trinity’s source directory as volume because it is preventing us from having clean updates. (#2013)
make create-dev-dappnode-imagecommand to make the creation of temporary dappnode packages easier and reduce the chances of human error. (#2030)
Deprecations and Removals¶
- BREAKING CHANGE: The
--enable-httpflag is no longer supported, use
--enable-http-apisinstead. Read the “feature” section for more information. (#1911)
Internal Changes - for Trinity Contributors¶
- Make TaskQueue.complete() async (#1997)
- Upgrade some dependencies: geth to v1.10.0, eth-tester to v0.5.0-beta.3, pytest-xdist to v1.34.0, and coincurve to v15. Also fixed a couple flaky tests and removed the geth bootnodes (because of unresolved issues on Trinity’s end, probably partially due to not having an eth/66 implementation). (#2124)
- Refactored transaction handling into an obaque blob. Previousy, code assumed a fixed transaction shape of a list of bytes, which is no longer accurate (as of EIP-2930). Also, don’t default maxfail=10 locally, and squash a couple test warnings. (#2215)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.36 (2020-06-18)¶
admin_peersJSON-RPC API (#1491)
Implement basic metrics tracking. With this change Trinity supports collecting and writing metrics to InfluxDB to be further processed and visualized by Grafana.
Run Trinity with
--enable-metrics --metrics-host "mymachine"and provide the Influx server and password via the following two environment variables:
Monitor the total number of incoming and outgoing packets in Influx/Grafana (#1595)
Monitor the number of peers in Grafana (#1599)
The –ethstats flag is now named –enable-ethstats to improve consistency. (#1604)
Don’t let CompressedLengthError escape and be written to the console. (#1606)
Add partial support for eth/65. Recognize the protocol with its new commands and support it across all internal infrastructure. The built-in “transaction pool” does not yet use the
NewPooledTransactionHashescommand yet and answers
GetPooledTransactionswith empty responses. (#1627)
Allow for Influxdb port & protocol to be configured via cli arguments. (#1680)
Upgrade to py-evm v0.3.0-alpha.15 – gives access to block state witnesses (#1681)
Support reporting of the current head for connected peers to influx / grafana. (#1699)
Ensure sync related flags show up under
--sync-mode headerto only sync the header chain on the ETH network. This does also support launching from a checkpoint via
Report trinity process and thread count to grafana. (#1713)
Implement backfilling of gaps in the header chain (introduced through checkpointing) for sync modes
beam. This background job can be disable via the
Increase the tip distance for etherscan checkpoint resolving from 50 to 5000 blocks. (#1781)
Fix the propagation of transactions which was broken when the transaction pool was moved into an isolated component.
Also the transaction pool tests now do assertions based on what the remote pool actually receives instead of based on what we appear to be sending out. (#1649)
Squash some deprecation warnings, by upgrading to eth-keys v0.3.3, eth-tester v0.4.0-beta.2, and web3.py v5.9.0 (#1724)
Return checksum address for
eth_getTransactionReceiptRPC API (#1749)
Fix etherscan checkpoint resolving for Ropsten and Görli. (#1782)
Fix Beam Sync crashing when running under Clique consensus (e.g. Görli) (#1786)
Deprecations and Removals¶
- Drop support for Python 3.6 making Python 3.7 the minimal supported Python version. (#1675)
Internal Changes - for Trinity Contributors¶
Remove test that scans for unhandled errors when the transaction pool is disabled. Disabling the transaction pool is unlikely to increase the chance of error. (#1611)
Upgrade latest lahja 0.16.0
With the new release the event bus raises exceptions if events or requests are send into the void, meaning when no active subscribers exist. This can be explicitly allowed if desired by setting
Falsewhen broadcasting events or making requests. (#1653)
Improve test coverage of Ethereum Wire Protocol making sure that certain tests ran across all supported protocols from ETH/63 to ETH/65. (#1672)
Run RPC API tests against Istanbul fixtures (#1749)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.35 (2020-03-03)¶
We now “pivot” Beam Sync if we fall too many blocks behind. When a naive (non-pivoting) Beam Sync falls too far behind the tip of the chain, it can get “stuck” because the trie data is no longer available from peers. (#908)
Add support for networks that run under Clique consensus. Add support for syncing the Görli network via –goerli flag. (#1196)
Improve error message for when the parameters to JSON-RPC calls are invalid
Improve error message for
eth_submitHashrateAPIs which Trinity does not support as it generally does not support mining operations.
eth_coinbaseto also return errors instead of default values. (#1475)
admin_nodeInfoJSON-RPC endpoint (#1503)
Add support for Etherscan API keys to continue support for the
--beam-from-checkpoint eth://block/byetherscan/latestflag now that Etherscan has made API keys mandatory. API keys need to be exposed via the
TRINITY_ETHERSCAN_API_KEYenvironment variable. (#1565)
p2p.abc.MultiplexerAPI.closemethods are now coroutines to allow
p2p.abc.TransportAPI.close()to drain the underlying
StreamWriterbefore closing it, ensuring that any pending messages are written over the socket before closing it. (#1417)
- Ensure validation errors in components are properly handled during bootstrap. (#1486)
- Fix broken API docs on https://trinity-client.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/ (#1510)
PeerConnectionLostwas escaping during a
highest_td_peercall, and crashing whatever called it. The exception is now caught. (#1524)
- Catch a variety of uncaught exceptions:
CorruptTransport. Also, prevent AttributeError when printing a
p2p.kademlia.Nodethat has no address. (#1545)
- Catch a
PeerConnectionLostraised when: disconnecting from a peer for sending a malformed message, and another one when finding the fastest peer. Reject handshake attempts when the IP address is unknown. Catch a
CorruptTransport, raised during multiplex. (#1548)
- Exit a bit more quickly from Beam Sync, by cancelling any hanging requests for state data. This
prevents a 5 second wait and timeout in the
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.34 (2019-12-23)¶
Full rework of
ComponentAPIs. CLI validation is now done during application initialization. Component lifecycle is well defined and simpler to implement. (#1328)
Add support for eth_getTransactionReceipt JSON-RPC API
AsyncioIsolatedComponentno longer uses the standard libary
multiprocessingfor process isolation, in favor of using the more async friendly
web3module changed from v4 to v5, including in the console. (#1383)
End JSON-RPC responses with n to support dopple. (#1388)
Upgrade Py-EVM and add support for Muir Glacier fork (#1409)
ComponentAPIs to support concurrent starting and stopping. (#1328)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.33 (2019-12-12)¶
Internal Changes - for Trinity Contributors¶
Fix flaky interactive web3 console test
Due to the way components cross connect to each other, not all logs of that startup routine are happening deterministically. We were waiting on a log that would sometimes never show up for all valid reason. This test is now based on a log that is guaranteed to show up unless a serious bug happened. (#1382)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.32 (2019-12-09)¶
Upgrade py-evm to v0.3.0-alpha.10, for critical Istanbul bugfix, related to net gas metering. (#1893)
Only allow a single connection per peer, even if an outgoing and incoming handshake are initiated simultaneously. Bonus: squashed UnknownAPI log when talking to a peer that is disconnecting. (#1352)
Ensure ThreadPoolExecutor in beam importer is set up with contextmanager
Without contextmanager one needs to manually call shutdown on the executor which we weren’t doing either. This change may fix some warnings during shutdown of the client. (#1371)
- Speed up the TxPool shutdown a bit: it had hanging tasks that we were waiting 5s to force-close. (#1356)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.31 (2019-12-04)¶
- Upgrade py-evm to v0.3.0-alpha.9, which includes consensus-sensitive Istanbul fix. See the py-evm release notes (#1343)
- Add export and import command that lets one export blocks to a file or import blocks from a file. (#1266)
- Properly handle Ropsten and Goerli when using –beam-from-checkpoint eth://block/byetherscan/latest to resolve a checkpoint. Also, propagate a proper error to the user in case the syntax is used for an unsupported networḱ. (#1269)
- Automatically rotate logfiles across runs (#1294)
- Add support for eth_getTransactionByHash JSON-RPC API (#1329)
- When resuming Beam Sync, prefer to pick up from the canonical tip, if it’s not too far behind. (#1349)
Internal Changes - for Trinity Contributors¶
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.30 (2019-11-13)¶
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.29 (2019-09-30)¶
- Document how to install, run and develop with the Trinity DappNode package. (#1082)
Internal Changes - for Trinity Contributors¶
- Add a
make create-dappnode-imagecommand to expose Trinity as a DappNode package. The package can be found as
Pluginsare now called
Components. We’ve found
Componentsto be a better term for the provided functionality, especially since it is less loaded with the assumption of being something that optionally extends functionality when in reality Trinity’s core functionality is built out of
ConnectionAPI.get_receipt_by_type(receipt_type: Type[ReceiptAPI])API (#1148)
ConnectionAPInow has a mirrored version of
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.28 (2019-09-12)¶
Remove Trinity specific subclass of the
lahjaendpoint in favor of using the core
EndpointAPIeverywhere. The previous functionality from the
TrinityEventBusEndpointis now handled by a special service designed to manage the endpoint lifecycle. (#672)
Allow trinity db-shell to inspect the beacon node (#809)
NewBlockEventon the event bus. (#822)
p2p.peer.receive_handshaketo encapsulate the logic for handling incoming connections. (#828)
p2p.p2p_proto.P2PProtocolclass now requires that handshake parameters be passed into the
send_handshakemethod. These parameters are now part of the
Add a new
p2p.tools.factories.TransportPairFactoryfor generating directly connected
p2p.multiplexer.Multiplexerfor combining the commands from different devp2p sub-protocols into a single network write stream, and split the incoming network stream into individually retrievable sub-protocol commands. (#835)
p2p.protocol.get_cmd_offsetshelper function for computing the command id offsets for devp2p protocols (#836)
BasePeerto handle the incoming message stream. (#847)
Add factories for creating devp2p protocols and commands for testing. (#850)
Beam Sync: parallel execution of blocks. When connected to a peer on a local network, can now keep up with mainnet (assuming a beefy machine). Also added beam stats in the logs. (#855)
multiprocessingbased database access with a custom implementation that increases database access performance by 1.5-2x (#859)
p2p.handshakeAPI. This provides a generic interface for performing proper DevP2p handshakes using multiple sub-protocols without needing involvement of the
Use the new
p2p.handshakeAPIs in the
p2p.peer.BasePeerhandshake logic. (#887)
If Trinity is Beam Sync and a call to eth_getBalance requests data which is not in the local database, Trinity asks for the data over the network. (#894)
Speculative Execution in Beam Sync: split block transactions to run them in parallel, for speedup. (#899)
Allow Beam Sync to start from a trusted checkpoint. Specify a checkpoint via CLI parameter such as:
When given, Beam Sync will use this as a checkpoint to avoid having to download the entire chain of headers first. (#921)
Expose the force-beam-block-number config as a command line parameter. The config is useful for testing to force Beam Sync to activate on a given block number. (#923)
p2p.peer.BasePeerContextproperties and use for handshake. (#931)
If eth_getCode is called during Beam Sync but the requested data is not available locally trinity will attempt to fetch the requested data from remote peers. (#944)
Beam Sync: start backfilling data, especially as a way to gather performance data about peers, and improve the performance of Beam Sync importing. (#951)
p2p.service.run_servicewhich implements a context manager API for running a
p2p.connection.Connectionservice which actively manages the
p2p.multiplexer.Multiplexerexposing an API for registering handler callbacks for individuall protocol commands or entire protocols, as well as access to general metadata about the p2p connection. (#956)
If eth_getStorageAt is called during Beam Sync but the requested data is not available locally trinity will attempt to fetch the requested data from remote peers. (#957)
ConnectionAPIfor underlying protocol interactions. (#962)
Allow Trinity to automatically resolve a checkpoint through the etherscan API using this syntax:
Fetch missing data from remote peers, if requested over json-rpc during Beam Sync. Requests for data at an old block will fail; remote peers probably don’t have it. (#975)
MiningChainon the db-shell REPL to allow creating blocks on a REPL (#977)
ConnectionAPI.get_p2p_receiptfor fetching the
HandshakeReceiptfor the base
p2p.protocol.Protocol.supports_commandis now a
HandlerSubscriptionAPInow supports a context manager interface, removing/cancelling the subscription when the context exits (#989)
Handler functions for
Connection.add_command_handlernow expect the
Connectioninstance as the first argument. (#990)
p2p.session.Sessionwhich is now used in place of the
remoteto identify peers in the peer pool. (#1054)
HTTPServerfor JSON-RPC over HTTP APIs. (#1078)
Make beam the default sync strategy and remove fast sync. (#1084)
Detect if a checkpoint is too close to the tip and delay sync until we have reached a minimum distance to the tip. (#1107)
Proper cancellation of subtasks upon cancellation of
The recently introduced fix that ensures we do not run multiple concurrent handshakes to the same peer accidentially introduced a (rarely exposed) memory leak. This fix introduces a
ResourceLockand refactores the code to use it to also fix the previously introduced memory leak. (#811)
Fix issue where test state was leaking between tests in
Beam Sync: Serve node data requests in parallel, instead of series (#857)
DEBUG2logs always being shown irrespective of log level. (#860)
Beam Sync stats: Count the extra single node that is sometimes required when downloading the nodes needed to look up an account or storage. (Usually because of a trie reorg) (#877)
Fixes issue with Trinity not shutting down when issues a
BaseProxyPeerto properly represent the
Add missing field from to the response of RPC calls eth_getTransactionByBlockHashAndIndex and eth_getTransactionByBlockNumberAndIndex. (#889)
--profileparameter takes profiles of every process (#891)
Fix JSON-RPC call eth_getBalance(address, block_number) to return balance at the requested block_number. Earlier it would always return balance at block(0). (#900)
Fix a MissingTrieNode exception when the first imported block has an uncle (#909)
TimeoutErrorexceptions that can occur while multiplexing the devp2p connection (#916)
Fix type hints so that
max_headersis recognized as keyword argument to
BootManagernow uses the
BasePeer.loopas well as their cancel token. (#926)
Fix a deadlock bug: if you request data from a peer at just the wrong moment, the request would hang forever. Now, it correctly raises an
LESHandshakeReceiptnow properly accept their protocol instances in their constructors. (#934)
lahja==0.14.0until connection timeout issue is resolved. (#936)
Beam Sync: catch the TimeoutError that was escaping, and retry (#939)
BasePeernegotiates the proper base protocol. (#942)
PeerConnectionLostin more places, especially sync. (#943)
Beam Sync: Sometimes we would get stuck using a bad peer for node retrieval, fixed. Sometimes we would stop asking for predicted trie nodes when we don’t have any immediate nodes to ask for, fixed. (#958)
p2pprotocol version. (#964)
Add missing exception handling inside of
PeerConnectionLostexception that bubbles from multiplexer.
Connectionis now responsible for calling
Multiplexer.closeon shutdown. Detect a closed connection during handshake. (#992)
P2PProtocol.send_disconnectto accept enum values from
Instead of the
ThreadPoolExecutorto normalize expensive messages. This fixes a bug where Trinity would leave idle processes from the
ProcessPoolExecutorbehind every time it shuts down after a sync.
Performance wise, both methods should be roughly compareable and since many task have already been moved to their own managed processes over time, using a
ThreadPoolExecutorstrikes as a simple solution to fix that bug. (#1004)
Fix a bug where trying to start Beam Sync from a checkpoint would throw an error due to an uninitialized var if a request to a peer would raise an error while we are trying to resolve a header from it. (#1005)
TrioService.run_taskto ensure that when a background task throws an unhandled exception that it causes full service cancellation and that the exception is propagated. (#1040)
Fix issue where Trinity does not recognize and disconnect from ETC peers when it is being used as an ETH client (#1050)
MalformedMessagerising out of the
Ensure discovery V4 handles invalid command ids gracefully (#1063)
Fix issue where attempts to establish new peer connections would halt shortly after startup due to missing timeout when attempting to dial a peer. (#1069)
An exception while serving peer requests would crash out the peer pool event server. Now it doesn’t crash, but logs a big red error (and catches innocuous exceptions, early on). (#1074)
An occasional warning “ValidationError: Duplicate tasks detected” was crashing the node. It’s recoverable, so log it, but don’t crash. (#1083)
Fix warning on ethstats.net due to incorrectly reported API version number. (#1094)
Fix warning caused by inappropriate call to
- Immediately insert Beam Sync nodes that are “predicted” (soon to be used during parallel execution) This saves a round trip on live execution, when parallel execution already downloaded a node. Also, more aggressively make predictive requests if no urgent requests are waiting in the queue. (#877)
- Previously, we gave up on predicted nodes that were not returned by a peer. Now we retry them, which helps make sure we aren’t missing any nodes at block import time. (#932)
- During Beam Sync previews, be sure to collect the nodes required to generate the new state root, rather than wait until it’s time to import the block. (#933)
Deprecations and Removals¶
p2p._utils.clampin favor of the one from
- Remove unused
- Remove legacy tests from core application code. (#882)
- Remove the
FakeAsync...classes from tests in favor of using the real versions for things like chain and database objects (#949)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.27 (2019-07-17)¶
- Don’t require blspy by default, which was breaking doc builds and making standard installs more difficult (by requiring cmake) (#805)
Trinity 0.1.0-alpha.26 (2019-07-16)¶
- Expose certain peer pool events and move RequestServer into an isolated plugin (#617)
- Run UPnP Service as an isolated plugin (plus #730 fixup) (#636)
- Log the gap time between the imported header and now; don’t blast screen with logs when regular syncing a lot (#646)
- Make logging config more ergonomic, flexible and consistent (#682)
Transportfor use in testing. (#693)
- Expose events for Transaction and NewBlockHashes commands on the EventBus (#696)
trinity db-shellto connect to a running process and inspect its database (#728)
- Pool management upgrades
- Move TransactionPool into its own process
- Create ProxyPeerPool that partially exposes peer pool functionality to any process (#734)
- Move responsibility for receiving handshake into
- Trinity can now autocomplete CLI parameters on
<tab>. Learn how to activate autocomplete in the docs. (#768)
trioas a loose replacement for the existing
- trinity attach can now accept path to ipc as parameter Learn more docs. (#796)
- Header syncing is now limited in how far ahead of block sync it will go (#704)
KeyErrorexception raised at
del self._dependencies[prune_task_id]during syncing (#731)
- Fix a race condition in Trinity’s event bus announcement ceremony (#763)
- Several very uncommon issues during syncing, more likely during Beam Sync (#772)
- Squashed bug that redownloads block bodies and logs this warning:
ValidationError: Cannot finish prereq BlockImportPrereqs.StoreBlockBodies of task(#780)
- When starting Beam Sync, download previous six block bodies, so that uncle validation can succeed. Import needs to verify that new block imports don’t add uncles that were already added. (#803)
- Setup towncrier to generate release notes from fragment files to ensure a higher standard for release notes. (#754)
trinity.protocolevents in API docs (#766)
BeaconAppConfigin API docs. (#775)
- Improve layout of API docs by grouping classmethods, methods and attributes. (#778)
- In the API docs display class methods, static methods and methods as one group “methods”. While we ideally wish to separate these, Sphinx keeps them all as one group which we’ll be following until we find a better option. (#794)
Deprecations and Removals¶
- Plugin removals
BaseAsyncStopPluginwhich isn’t needed anymore now that there is no hardwired
- Remove plugin manager scopes which aren’t needed anymore now that there is only
get_chain_configAPI was moved from the
- Upgraded py-evm to deal with eth-keys v0.3.0 dependency issue – see commit
- #637: EVM upgrade: py-evm upgraded to v0.2.0-alpha.43, changes copied here, from the py-evm changelog
- #1778: Feature: Raise custom decorated exceptions when a trie node is missing from the database (plus some bonus logging and performance improvements)
- #1732: Bugfix: squashed an occasional “mix hash mismatch” while syncing
- #1716: Performance: only calculate & persist state root at end of block (post-Byzantium)
- Performance: only calculate & persist storage roots at end of block (post-Byzantium)
- Performance: batch all account trie writes to the database once per block
- Maintenance: Lazily generate VM.block on first access. Enables loading the VM when you don’t have its block body.
- Performance: Fewer DB reads when block is never accessed.
- Performance: speedups on
- #1764: Speed up
is_valid_opcodecheck, formerly 7% of total import time! (now less than 1%)
- #1765: Reduce logging overhead, ~15% speedup
- #1766: Cache transaction sender, ~3% speedup
- #1770: Faster bytecode iteration, ~2.5% speedup
- #1771: Faster opcode lookup in apply_computation, ~1.5% speedup
- #1772: Faster Journal access of latest data, ~6% speedup
- #1773: Faster stack operations, ~9% speedup
- #1776: Faster Journal record & commit checkpoints, ~7% speedup
- #1777: Faster bytecode navigation, ~7% speedup
- #1764: Speed up
- #1751: Maintenance: Add placeholder for Istanbul fork
- #629: Feature: Peers which disconnect from us too quickly are blacklisted for a short period of time.
- #625: Feature: Peer backend system is now sent full list of connected remotes
- #624: Feature: Better logging and tracking of the reason a peer disconnection occured.
- #612: Feature: Make Python 3.7 the environment of the ethereum/trinity docker images
- #596: Feature:
p2p.PeerPoolnow sources peer candidates using an extendable backend system.
- #519: Feature: Retain disconnect reason on
BasePeerwhen we disconnect.
- #555: Feature: Peers who timeout too often in the Request/Response API will be disconnected from and blacklisted for 5 minutes.
- #558: Feature: Peers who are disconnected due to a
bad_protocolare blacklisted for 10 minutes.
- #559: Feature: Peers who send invalid responses are disconnected from using
- #569: Feature: Log messages with sequences of block numbers now use a concise representation to reduce message size.
- #571: Feature:
BaseService.uptimeproperty now exposes integer number of seconds since service was started.
- #441: Feature: Run with any custom network ID, as long as you specify a genesis file
- #436: Feature: Connect to preferred nodes even when discovery is disabled
- #518: Feature: Create log directory for you, if data dir is empty
- #630: Bugfix: Proper shutdown of the whole trinity process if the network database is corrupt.
- #618: Bugfix: Can actually connect to other trinity peers now (and syncing peers).
- #595: Bugfix: Error handling for corrupt snappy data
- #591: Bugfix: Catch
RuntimeErrorin handshake to prevent crashing the entire node
- #469: Bugfix: Fix deprecation warnings from
- #527: Bugfix:
LESPeerclass now raises proper exceptions for mismatched genesis hash or network id.
- #531: Bugfix:
p2p.kademlia.Nodeclass is now pickleable.
- #564: Bugfix: Sub-protocol compatibility matching extracted from
p2p.BasePeerto make it easier to test.
- #565: Bugfix:
p2p.Commandclasses no longer use mutable data structures for class-level properties.
- #568: Bugfix: Revert to fixed timeout for Request/Response cycle with peer to mitigate incorrect timeouts when networking conditions change.
- #570: Bugfix: Remove local implementations of humanize utils in favor of
- #485: Bugfix: Ensure Trinity shuts down if Discovery crashes unexpectedly
- #400: Bugfix: Respect configuration of individual logger (e.g -l p2p.discovery=ERROR)
- #336: Bugfix: Ensure Trinity shuts down if the process pool dies (fatal error)
- #347: Bugfix: Don’t crash during sync pruning when switching peers
- #446: Bugfix(es): Several reliability improvements to regular sync
- #389: Bugfix: Always return contiguous headers from header syncer
- #493: Performance: Establish peer connections concurrently rather than sequentially.
- #528: Performance: Limit number of concurrent attempts to establish new peer connections.
- #536: Performance: Peer connection tracking is now a plugin in the
- #389: Performance: When switching sync to a new lead peer, don’t backtrack to importing old headers
- #556: Performance: Upgrade to lahja 0.13.0 which performs less inter-process communication
- #386: Performance: Slightly reduce eventbus traffic that the peer pool causes
- #483: Performance: Speed up normalization of peer messages
- #608: Maintenance: Enable tests for Constantinople and Petersburg
- #623: Maintenance: Optimise for faster test runs
- #337: Feature: Support for ConstantinopleV2 aka Petersburg aka ConstantinopleFix
- #270: Performance: Persist information on peers between runs
- #268: Maintenance: Add more bootnodes, use all the Geth and Parity bootnodes
- #263: Performance: Upgrade to lahja 0.11.0 and get rid of EventBus coordinator process
- #227: Bugfix: Do not accidentially create many processes that sit idle
- #227: Tests: Cover APIs that also hit the database in trinity attach tests
- #155: Feature: Disable syncing entirely with –sync-mode none
- #155: Feature: Allow running –sync-mode full directly
- #155: Feature: Allow plugins to extend –sync-mode with different strategies
- #236: Performance: Quicker pruning of in-memory headers, was a leading asyncio bottleneck
- #236: Bugfix: Several reliability improvements during sync
Released December 13, 2018
- #1579: Feature: Full Constantinople support, with all* tests passing
- #1590: Performance: CodeStream speedup
- #1576: Bugfix: require recent enough py-ecc to avoid busted py-ecc release (see #1572)
- #1577: Maintenance: Show state diffs on all state failures (see #1573)
- #1570: Maintenance: Cleanup sporadic unclean shutdown of peer request
- #1580: Maintenance: The logged delta in expected vs actual account balance was backwards
- #1573: Maintenance: Display state diffs on failing tests, for much easier EVM debugging
- #1567: Performance: Reduce event bus traffic by enabling point-to-point communication
- #1569: Bugfix: Increase Kademlia timeouts to work on high-latency networks
- #1530: Maintenance: Rename logging level from
trace(reserved for EVM tracing) to
- #1553: Maintenance: Dynamically tune peer timeouts with historical latency (also #1583)
- #1560: Bugfix: Constantinople CREATE2 gas usage
- #1559: Feature: Mainnet configuration now defaults to Constantinople rules at 7080000
- #1557: Docs: Clarify that local plugins must be installed with
- #1538: Maintenance: Variety of dependency resolution warning cleanups
- #1549: Maintenance: Separate Plugin space for
- #1554: Maintenance: Enable asynchronous iterators that can be cancelled by a service
- #1523: Maintenance: Much faster testing of valid PoW chains
- #1536: Maintenance: Add
trinity-beaconcommand as a placeholder for future Beacon Chain
- #1500: Performance: Be smarter about validating the bloom filter, to avoid duplicate hashing
- #1537: Maintenance: Use new event bus feature to avoid the old hack for clean shutdown
- #1544: Docs: Quickstart fix – use
trinity attachinstead of console
- #1541: Docs: Simplify and de-duplicate readme
- #1533: Bugfix: Light chain data lookups regressed during genesis file feature. Fixed
- #1524: Bugfix: Validate header chain continuity during light sync
- #1528: Maintenance: Computation code reorg and gas logging bugfix
- #1522: Bugfix: Increase the system recursion limit for EVM requirements, but never decrease it
- #1519: Docs: Document why we must spawn instead of fork on linux (spoiler: asyncio)
- #1516: Maintenance: Add test for
- #1299: Feature: Launch via custom genesis file (See EIP proposal)
- #1496: Bugfix: Regular chain sync crash
- The research team has started adding Beacon Chain code to the underlying py-evm repo. It’s all a work in progress, but for those who like to follow along:
That sound you make when you burp in the middle of a hiccup. Hiccurp?
Released November 20, 2018
- #1488: Bugfix: Bugfix for state sync to limit the number of open files.
- #1478: Maintenance: Improve logging messages during fast sync to include performance metrics
- #1476: Bugfix: Ensure that network connections are properly close when a peer doesn’t successfully complete the handshake.
- #1474: Bugfix: EthStats fix for displaying correct uptime metrics
- #1471: Maintenance: Upgrade
- #1469: Maintenance: Add logging to show when fast sync has completed.
- #1467: Bugfix: Don’t add peers which disconnect during the boot process to the peer pool.
- #1465: Bugfix: Proper handling for when
SIGTERMis sent to the main Trinity process.
- #1463: Bugfix: Better handling for bad server responses by EthStats client.
- #1443: Maintenance: Merge the
- #1438: Bugfix: Remove warnings when printing the ASCII Trinity header
- #1437: Maintenance: Update to use f-strings for string formatting
- #1435: Maintenance: Enable Constantinople fork on Ropsten chain
- #1434: Bugfix: Fix incorrect mainnet genesis parameters.
- #1421: Maintenance: Implement
- #1410: Maintenance: Implement EIP1283 for updated logic for
SSTOREopcode gas costs.
- #1395: Bugfix: Fix gas cost calculations for
- #1386: Maintenance: Trinity now prints a message to make it more clear why Trinity was shutdown.
- #1387: Maintenance: Use colorized output for
ERRORlevel logging messages.
- #1378: Bugfix: Fix address generation for
- #1374: Maintenance: New
ChainTipMonitorservice to keep track of the highest TD chain tip.
- #1371: Maintenance: Upgrade
- #1367: Maintenance: Improve logging output to include more contextual information
- #1361: Maintenance: Remove
HeaderRequestingPeerin favor of
- #1353: Maintenance: Decouple peer message handling from syncing.
- #1351: Bugfix: Unhandled
- #1348: Maintenance: Add default server URIs for mainnet and ropsten.
- #1347: Maintenance: Improve code organization within
- #1343: Bugfix: Rename
- #1342: Maintenance: Internal rename of
- #1336: Maintenance: Implement plugin for EthStats reporting.
- #1335: Maintenance: Relax some constraints on the ordered task management constructs.
- #1332: Maintenance: Upgrade
- #1317: Maintenance: Extract peer selection from the header sync.
- #1312: Maintenance: Turn on warnings by default if in a prerelease
Released September 27, 2018
- #1332: Bugfix: Comparing rlp objects across processes used to fail sporadically, because of a changing object hash (fixed by upgrading pyrlp to 1.0.3)
- #1326: Maintenance: Squash a stack trace in the logs when a peer sends us an invalid public key during handshake
- #1325: Bugfix: When switching to a new peer to sync headers, it might have started from too far behind the tip, and get stuck
- #1327: Maintenance: Squash some log warnings from trying to make a request to a peer (or receive a response) while it is shutting down
- #1321: Bugfix: Address a couple race condition exceptions when syncing headers from a new peer, and other downstream processing is in progress
- #1316: Maintenance: Reduce size of images in documentation
- #1313: Maintenance: Remove miscellaneous things that are generating python warnings (eg~ using deprecated methods)
- #1279: Reliability: Atomically persist when storing: a block, a chain of headers, or a cluster of trie nodes
- #1304: Maintenance: Refactor AtomicDB to return an explict database instance to write into
- #1296: Maintenance: Require new AtomicDB in chain and header DB layers
- #1295: Maintenance: New AtomicDB interface to enable a batch of atomic writes (all succeed or all fail)
- #1290: Bugfix: more graceful recovery when re-launching sync on a fork
- #1277: Maintenance: add a cancellable
call_laterto all services
- #1226: Performance: enable multiple peer requests to a single fast peer when other peers are slow
- #1254: Bugfix: peer selection when two peers have exactly the same throughput
- #1253: Maintenance: prefer f-string formatting in p2p, trinity code
- #1249: Misc bugfixes for fast sync reliability.
- #1245: Improved exception messaging for
- #1244: Use
- #1242: Bugfix: Unhandled
- #1235: Typo cleanup.
- #1236: Documentation cleanup
- #1237: Code cleanup
- #1232: Bugfix: Correctly enforce timeouts on peer requests and add lock mechanism to support concurrency.
- #1229: CI cleanup
- #1228: Merge
- #1225: Expand peer stats tracking
- #1221: Implement Discovery V5 Protocol
- #1219: Re-organize and document fixture filler tools
- #1214: Implement
- #1210: Convert sync to use streaming queue instead of batches.
- #1209: Chain Builder tool
- #1205: Bugfix: ExchangeHandler stats crash
- #1204: Consensus bugfix for uncle validation
- #1151: Change to
import_blockto return chain re-organization data.
- #1197: Increase wait time for database IPC socket.
- #1194: Unify
- #1190: Improved testing for peer authentication
- #1189: Detect crashed sub-services and exit
Serverfor incoming peer connections.
- #1182: Convert
fix-unclean-shutdownCLI command to be a plugin
- #1081 #1115 #1116: Reduce logging output during state sync.
- #1063 #1035 #1089 #1131 #1132 #1138 #1149 #1159: Implement round trip request/response API.
- #1094 #1124: Make the node processing during state sync more async friendly.
- #1097: Keep track of which peers are missing trie nodes during state sync.
- #1109 #1135: Python 3.7 testing and experimental support.
- #1136 #1120: Module re-organization in preparation of extracting
- #1137: Peer subscriber API now supports specifying specific msg types to reduce msg queue traffic.
- #1142 #1165: Implement JSON-RPC endpoints for:
- #1150 #1176: Better handling of malformed messages from peers.
- #1157: Use shared pool of workers across all services.
- #1158: Support specifying granular logging levels via CLI.
- #1161: Use a tmpfile based LevelDB database for cache during state sync to reduce memory footprint.
- #1166: Latency and performance tracking for peer requests.
- #1173: Better APIs for background task running for
- #1182: Convert
fix-unclean-shutdowncommand to be a plugin.
- Remove specified
eth-accountdependency in favor of allowing
web3.pyspecify the correct version.
- #1058 #1044: Add
fix-unclean-shutdownCLI command for cleaning up after a dirty shutdown of the
- #1041: Bugfix for ensuring CPU count for process pool is always greater than
- #1010: Performance tuning during fast sync. Only check POW on a subset of the received headers.
- #996 Experimental new Plugin API: Both the transaction pool and the
attachcommands are now written as plugins.
- #898: New experimental transaction pool. Disabled by default. Enable with
--tx-pool. (warning: has known issues that effect sync performance)
- #935: Protection against eclipse attacks.
- #869: Ensure connected peers are on the same side of the DAO fork.
- #1081: Reduce
DEBUGlog output during state sync.
- #1071: Minor fix for how version string is generated for trinity
- #1070: Easier profiling of
- #1068: Optimize
evm.db.chain.ChainDB.persist_blockfor common case.
- #1057: Additional
DEBUGlogging of peer uptime and msg stats.
- #1049: New integration test suite for trinity CLI
- #1045 #1051: Bugfix for generation of block numbers for
- #1011: Workaround for parity bug parity #8038
- #987: Now serving requests from peers during fast sync.
- #971 #909 #650: Benchmarking test suite.
- #968: When launching
attachcommands, check for presence of IPC socket and log informative message if not found.
- #934: Decouple the
- #913: Add validation of retrieved contract code when operating in
- #908: Bugfix for transitioning from syncing chain data to state data during fast sync.
- #905: Support for multiple UPNP devices.
- Bugfix for
- More bugfixes to enforce
- Bugfix to enforce
--max-peersfor incoming connections.
--max-peersand enforcement of maximum peer connections maintained by the
- Respond to
GetBlockHeadersmessage during fast sync to prevent being disconnected as a useless peer.
--profileCLI flag to Trinity to enable profiling via
- Better error messaging with Trinity cannot determine the appropriate location for the data directory.